Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Review: Milani Color Statement Lipstick in Sweet Nectar 01, Plumrose 17 & Nude Creme 26

Drugstore
Price:  $5.49
Rating:  ☺☺☺☺☺!


So far, I'm finding that I actually like these much more than Revlon's Super Lustrous Lipsticks (granted, Revlon's lipsticks are more moisturizing and they do have a larger selection).  Good job, Milani!  These are definitely a step up from their Color Perfect Lipsticks. In fact, with this new line, Milani has become my favorite brand for drugstore lipsticks--I highly recommend them.

Sweet Nectar (cream finish):  A vibrant, orange coral
Plumrose (cream finish):  A medium, plummy pink cream
Nude Creme (cream finish):  A nude pink with mauve undertones

Pros
+Highly pigmented: When I wear these, I simply apply the lipstick on my top lip, and then press my lips together.  The color transfers onto my bottom lip and it's pigmented enough that I don't need to apply anymore once I blend it out.  It also leaves a nice, even stain as it fades throughout the day for a tint of color.
+As bold as these colors can be, they're also very versatile because you can wear them as stains.  Go sheer for an everyday look, or build up the color to make a statement.  Sweet nectar wears as a peachy coral stain, Plumrose as a light magenta stain and Nude Creme as well...a nude stain.
+Fairly long wearing for what it is and the price you pay; you can extend the color by blotting.
+Smooth and easy application:  This doesn't skip or drag on your lips at all.
+Light and comfortable wear
+Doesn't feather (which means it doesn't settle into the creases of your lips) or bleed outside of your lips.
+Smells like sweet, artificial watermelon (but doesn't taste like it).  For those of you who like fragrance-free lipsticks, the scent isn't overpowering and does fade over time.
+Paraben-free

Cons
-I don't find these particularly nourishing or hydrating even though the formula contains vitamins A, C & E--they can be slightly drying (not significantly, but if you're someone with dry lips, this is something you will want to take note).  However, this a very common issue found in longer lasting lipsticks that can easily be  solved with some lip balm.
-I loved Sweet Nectar and P
-I loved Sweet Nectar and Plumrose, but I didn't particularly like Nude Creme as much due to the application and the color (I'm just not a fan of nudes on myself, I have yet to find one that flatters my skin tone).  It didn't glide on as stellar smooth as the other two and the color went on slightly blotchy, emphasizing the wrinkles on my lips.  However, it does smooth over and even out once you use your finger or a brush to blend it out.  With that said, it's a pretty good neutral color for when you're wearing heavier eye makeup.  Definitely go over it with some gloss to liven it up.  I would recommend this color for people with a darker skin tone though,  I feel like it deadens the complexion of people with paler skin.

Truly 1 stroke for each swatch, as advertised "One stroke, full coverage application."

Sweet Nectar 01
Plumrose 17
Nude Creme 26



2 comments:

  1. Hi! What shades do you recommend for someone who's on the tan side with olive undertones/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for dropping by! I would recommend warmer shades in nude pinks, peaches and deep reds/reds with brown undertones (such as maroon/burgundy colors). I hope this helps, let me know how it works out for you :)

      Delete