Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Review: Revlon Super Lustrous, Black Cherry

Drugstore
Price:  $5-$8
Rating:   ☺☺☺☺

 
If you liked Milani's Color Perfect Lipstick in Black Cherry and Wet n' Wild's Megalast Lipstick in Cherry Bomb 918D, this is the perfect lipstick for you.  It's currently my favorite shade from Revlon's Super Lustrous line, in fact.  I recommend wearing it more as a tint than a deep red lip, however.

Pros
+Deep, cool red with a berry hue
+Highly pigmented
+Versatile:  You can wear it as a sheer lip tint for smidgen of color or go full-on vamp
+Creamy
+Easy application:  goes on smoothly with  no dragging, skipping or pulling on the lips

Cons
-If you wear a deep red lip, it wears off unevenly, leaving patches.  However, if you wear it as a tint, you don't come across this problem
-Not long lasting; it's hard to build up the color and actually have it last
-If you want a deep red lip, you will have to use lip liner to keep the lipstick from bleeding and feathering.  Remember to moisturize.  I find that this lipstick does slightly dry out my lips throughout the day.

Notes
.I don't recommend this product if you have dry/chapped lips--it won't go on as smoothly or evenly and will only serve to accentuate these issues, like most dark lip colors.

2 coats. 
If you want a vampy look, just add another coat for a deeper shade. 

4 comments:

  1. I was so excited to see you review this! totally my favorite lipstick i even bough backup tubes in case they ever discontinue it. applying a lip balm beforehand helps disguise chapped lips and blotting the first couple layers makes it last loads long. My only concern is that this is one lipstick that basically REQUIRES a lip liner or else mine feathers like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like this color too! It's such a gorgeous color. It's so funny because I actually threw this lipstick in my bag today and used it this morning! I haven't used it since winter. You're right about the feathering, I didn't notice it before until today (I usually use it more as a lip tint so I don't have to maintain it)--I think it's because my lips are more dry this time around and I actually applied more than normal. I'm so glad you commented, thanks so much for pointing that out (I'll update my review now [:).

      Delete
    2. Haha hooray for coincidences. I'm also all for cheap drugstore finds (it makes me feel less guilty about splurging on other things lol) and wet n wild had a lip liner (#715 plumberry) that fits perfectly with it for only a couple bucks I believe. Let me know what you think if you try it out!

      Delete
    3. Exactly.

      Will do! Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete